Friday, July 28, 2017

Failure is not always a bad thing.......

  

Failure is not always a bad thing.  It can lead you onto new projects, ones that will make a difference.  This sweater has been frogged.  I love the yarn too much to have it waste away on something that ended up was going to be much to big for me.  I felt that I was going to look like an old woman in a little girls crochet outfit, this yarn deserved better.  A weeks work was quickly frogged.  Funny how long it takes to crochet those precious inches and how fast it is to unravel them.


I made a quick trip to the yarn store last weekend to get the basic yarn for the new baby blanket I need to make.  This Ella Rae gray yarn will be perfect as it is acrylic with just a pinch of wool, washable for all those baby messes.  I also bought the skeins of pink and light turquoise to make the border a little more baby friendly.   They are a different texture but I don't think it will make a difference when it is all worked up.  The dark lavendar was added from my stash.


I worked out the math for the blanket and chained 132 for the base plus 3 for the first hdc, after nine rows I realized this baby was way too big so last night, rip, rip, rip.  I was calculating my missteps last night and realized I had crocheted over 1,000 yards with nothing to show for it. Today I will start again, with a chain of 102 plus 3 for the body of the blanket. Projects that don't work are a part of life.  At least it is only yarn and the pleasure is in the making, the creating, not necessarily the product.  .

I am not sure that can be said for what is going on in our government.  Yes, you knew I had to say something didn't you?  Ramming through healthcare is not the same as ramming through with a project.  I can frog it with no worries.  I can start over and only have myself to blame for a wrong yarn choice, wrong needle or hook size, or wrong pattern.  No one will be hurt in the process, it is only time I have wasted.  I am only working with myslef and my choices don't affect anyone else.  As for healthcare it affects all of us whether you have Obamacare or not.  Millions of people without healthcare affects the whole economy and frankly their deaths, their lack of care, their grief about not being able to pay for their child to receive services affects all of us as a whole on the most primal level.  It says a lot about who we are as a country, who we are as people.  We should protect our own as well as protect those who can't protect themselves.  I applaud Senators Collins, Murkowski and McCain for standing up for what is right.  It was a dramatic moment when Senator John McCain stood up for what is right.  I have not always agreed with him, but I do think he is a man of integrity and honor, a hero in my book in every way.  It is easy to go with the flow and ram something through hoping that it won't get passed, it is another thing to stand up to your party and say this is not right.  It is hard to face the backlash for days before the vote as Senators Collins and Murkowski did, they have listened to the people in their state and thus were treated unfairly by their own party for doing so.  Now can we work together to make something that is right?  Can we fix the current system and make it better for all who need it?  And to add the tweets coming out of the highest office every single day are disrespectful and dishonest.  They reign chaos and serve to move us away from the real issues.  Frankly it is a disgrace to our country.  Okay enough said even though there is so much more to say.


This little one is feeling much better.  Thank you for all of your well wishes.  He lost another 1 1/2 pounds, gah isn't that always the way right before a doctor appointment? I am working on getting weight back on him.  He was sleeping in this morning and I could not resist a photo opportunity.  He had a late in the day eye appointment yesterday which meant no nap.  He slept in until 9 this morning, a world record!  I think he is still recovering a bit.  Isn't he precious?

Hope your failures have been minimal this week and your progress is positive on all accounts.  Have a great weekend.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not usually a prude and certain colorful language has certainly been heard coming out of my mouth, but SERIOUSLY ....what kind of public official lets loose with that string of language in a PUBLIC statement. Aside from all the legislation that our so-called president is wreaking on us, the people he surrounds himself with are just the dregs of our society. And yet ........ I KNOW people that STILL support him. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Glad you hear little buddy is feeling better. A good sleep helps us all, doesn't it! I think I'd like to sleep off the next 3+ years.

gaia said...

Dear Meredith,
I am glad to read that Little BUddy is doing better.
I cannot comment on your country's political situation as a foreigner but currently I am reading this book: Sapiens- a brief story of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.I find the book quite insightful especially the chapter on capitalism.
Wishing you and your family the very best...
Hugs,GAia.

Amy at love made my home said...

I cannot talk of failures right now, but I am so glad to hear of successes and I am so pleased about this healthcare thing, I try never to speak of politics in blogs after I mentioned something a year or so ago and lost a lot of readers, but this is something that I am so pleased about for you and all of the others that this affects.

Glad that things will alright for your blanket, I know that you can and will make it great!

Hugs my dear and hopes that Buddy will gain those few pounds again and some more. xx

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the yarn colors and I love you analogy. Healthcare in this country is a mess but we can't throw out the baby with the bathwater! Little Buddy is adorable. Hugs!

Araignee said...

What a night! I was thinking of you and Little Buddy as I was doing my happy dance for Daddio at 1 am. I am still cautious though. There are too many pseudo patriots who think healthcare is a gift for me to get comfortable.

Betsy said...

What a sweet picture of your little guy. I'm so sorry about the weight loss and will pray that you can quickly pack the pounds back on him. I wish I could lose weight that quickly! Ha! Your new yarn is very pretty and will make a gorgeous baby blanket. And I agree, it's frustrating how quickly projects are unraveled after the time we put into making them. I almost unraveled my latest shawl but couldn't bring myself to do it. I think I'll try a readers suggestion of steam pressing it. Surely worrisome times are here in our great country. I spend a lot of time praying these days.
Blessings,
Betsy

Mac n' Janet said...

I agree with everything you said, but part of the problem with our healthcare is that the Democrats rammed it through without making sure it would actually work (remember the mantra pass it and read it later).and be sustainable.
I'm hoping they can fix the parts that need fixing so it will continue to work, but everything has become so bipartisan that I'm not sure it can be.
I am so proud of McCain, hoping they can save him as Jimmy Carter was saved.
I'm fed up with both our political parties, they utterly sicken me.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

The little ones are so sweet when they are asleep (and while they are awake too!)

3 people were able to stop that vote passing. Bless them for their bravery and showing thoughtful and honest leadership.

Hugs.

Joy

Jo said...

What a precious little boy, don't they look angelic when they're asleep? It's so annoying having to frog a project after you've put a lot of work into it but it's worth it in the long run. No point carrying on with a project which just isn't right.

Christina said...

He sure looks cute! Aren't kids adorable when they are asleep.

I was relieved to read the news this morning, even if none of this healthcare debacle affects me personally, living in the UK. It is good to see there are still politicians with integrity! I am astonished every day about the presidents lack of manners and political knowledge or understanding. He tweets like a toddler argues.

Have fun with your new blanket project. The colours look lovely, perfect for a baby. xx

CJ said...

Shame about the frogging, but sometimes it has to be done. Gorgeous blanket colours though. Lots of things being done here that won't unravel nicely as well. No idea where it will all end. So glad your Little Buddy is on the mend, I hope you all have a good weekend. CJ xx

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

What a sweet photo of little Buddy, such a beautiful little boy. Sorry you had to frog your project, but as you said, sometimes it's for the best xx

Melanie said...

Little Buddy is so precious - glad he's feeling better. Sorry about your project...must've been very frustrating. Hope you have a good weekend!

Teresa Kasner said...

I can so relate on the crochet and pull out and roll up.. I guess we can say it builds character.. right? :-) Yes, Little Buddy looked adorable asleep.. I think all mothers love the quiet sweetness of their sleeping children. I'm right there with you on being appalled at the going's-on in DC. I was so angry at McCain for his yes vote the other day.. then forgave him when he came through at this last vote. I'm so upset with 45 threatening the Alaskan Senator with pulling out funding to her state because of her vote. And then that Scaramucci.. gadzooks.. what a vile man! And the speech to the 40,000 Boy Scouts at their national Jamboree... eGADS! I really can't see how anyone can still look fondly and with respect at 45.. and then am shocked when they still do. What is it? What??? And today Priebus being run off and he was one of the only people in that circle that had any gov't experience. ::sigh:: I think I'll go crochet on my grandson's cuddle blanket.. lol. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Anonymous said...

Know the feeling of sorry when you have to start over your crochet project, hours and hours of work for nothing... No, not for nothing, to learn and to exercise and for the fun to crochet, like you say. I love it how you always see the positive side.
Glad Little B is better, I bet that's because you love him so much and take such good care of him :-)
What you say about the politics in your country is so sad... and recognisable... I'm ashamed of the government in our country, Belgium. It seems the world is becoming hard and more and more egocentric ... It is so good that you say what's on your mind on your blog. You're totally right. I hope soon people like you will be heared and changes will happen! I believe in taking care of eachother and I think it's nice that you feel the same.
PS: Can't say it really well as English is not my mothertongue but I try ;-)
Take care, Sigrid

kathy b said...

So happy LIL Buddy is over it and catching up on sleep.

As for your starts and stops with crochet, I do it all the time! As our Cubs manager says, Be Present not Perfect.

I LOVE the baby blanket colors and yarn choices Meredith. Soooo beautiful.

Wishing you a nice weekend with some unexpected laughter.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Nothing more precious than a peacfully sleeping Little B. So glad he's on the mend. Wish I could say the same for our country. I was very glad to see that at least a few Republicans had the courage to stand up for what's right with the health care vote the other night. Now if the rest of them could only stand up and speak out against you know who so we can end this horror show.

Anonymous said...

Our Satire and comedy news shows on both the radio and TV have a field day on DT every week and although I find it amusing from afar it can't be easy to actually have to live with it. Glad you have frogged the sweater, I think it is a sign of a very good yarntangler when you know when to stop.

Glad Little Buddy is on the mend. Jo xxx

Delighted Hands said...

Sometimes frogging is the major part of our handwork-it's just part of the game. Learning from all of that work is the moral of the story!
John McCain's speech would have meant more. if he hadn't just voted yes with everyone else........

Blondie's Journal said...

My heart melts with this pic of Little Buddy. Sleep is so restorative. I hope he wakes with a huge appetite!

I never heard the word frogg!!! Is it a knitting/yarn thing??! I'm almost embarrassed!

I am so on board with you and your well said words. I sincerely believe the day is coming...soon, very soon.

Jane x

handmade by amalia said...

Amazing how crochet can be a metaphor for so many life lessons :-) But you must have been disappointed, I'm sorry for that.
Amalia
xo

Caffeine Girl said...

What is going on in Washington is just plain wrong. There are far too many legislators who want a "political win" and not what's best for the people of this country. I live in a state that did not take the Medicaid expansion, and so many of my students do not have access to health care. And they really can't get vision or dental services. It is heartbreaking.

I wonder how McCain would have voted if he had not gotten the cancer diagnosis when he did. After all, the rest of us are paying for his expensive treatment!

Poor LB. The flu literally took a lot out of him! I hope he puts the pounds back on quickly.

Nance said...

"Hope your failures have been minimal this week and your progress is positive."

Thank you for this. It's a Very Realistic Sentiment. I appreciate it, and I thought your example of your crochet mishap was a Good One. Very inspiring and true. And thoughtful. It's hard to struggle, and often harder still to admit even small defeats in order to Try Again. But we must! Life is a Journey.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I do not understand how all those people in office can't get their fricking act together and work out the whole medical/insurance fiasco. Seriously, it is already unaffordable and yet they are saying that at this rate, insurance could cost more next year. What then? Why does medicine cost $100 in the States when you can go to another country and get it for $10? It doesn't make sense to me at all. But to put so many at risk, and to threaten the whole system, is just plain abominable. The whole administrative scene has become a really bad reality show with bad actors that just keep coming out of the woodwork. It is such a joke. And really and truly embarrassing.

Enjoy the making of your baby blanket. Glad to hear Z Man is feeling better. Take care of yourself, too. Hugs and blessings, Tammy

elns said...

I'm glad LB is feeling better. That picture of him getting some rest and health back is SO sweet, hurts all the soft parts of me in the best way. Your colors are so fun. I love all your baby blankets. Knitting for the newness is just the best. Your stuff looks so clean and classic as well. I can't with the gov't right now. I'm in a constant state of "now what." Even when I do my best to try and look a way, it feels like it comes back upon me before I've caught my breath. xoxo

Willow said...

I don't mind frogging/tinking as long as I have a new project in mind.

I hope Little Buddy is feeling fine soon (and gains his weight back).

Gracie Saylor said...

So glad that LB is better!

Somewhere in my internet search for health care proposals, I came across one that said that western Florida has a successful plan that was being used as a model for a national proposal. I hope that you and yours are benefiting from a good plan!

I got a lame response from my state senators when I typed to them that I expected them to work for health care equal to what they qualify for, but I was encouraged by a higher up government official who expressed my opinion in an article I read.

At any rate I am still praying for God's best for each of us! xx